I am an inventive and creative designer, working within the arts. My project roles vary from theatre design, illustration, event design, and puppetry. I lead workshops for children and I teach theatre design in higher education. I also run Hattie Pom Pom, a creative hat making company. RECENT PROJECT- Head of styling for Jamie Oliver's Big Feastival/ Costume, set, and puppetry with Blunderbus Theatre Company. 'The Owl Who Was Afraid Of The Dark' CURRENT PROJECTS- A vintage wedding styling project/ Creating the show The Secret Garden with Angel Exit Theatre. MY UPCOMING PROJECT- The styling of 'Wedding week' at Bluewater Shopping Centre

Thursday 14 July 2011

The Secret Garden R&D with Angel Exit Theatre

I had such a lovely week in Bridport with Angel exit Theatre! I am currently working with the company as their designer and together we are realising a production of The Secret Garden. I stayed in the most beautiful farm house. Myself and Matt got a tour of the farm and Ingrid made us feel very welcome for the week! We were based at Bridport Arts Centre and the week was spent exploring the story, characters, and how this can be potrayed on stage. The cast being Tamsin, Lynne, Simon, Henry, Caroline, and Ollie worked together to create some brilliant characters. They have given me lots of inspiration for my illustrations and design concepts.

The week for me began by hiring some costume of the period from The Arts University College At Bournemouth. The students from the third year will be creating the costume as part of their live project. Once the visuals and cut outs were up on the wall, I began creating some head pieces, adapting some hats, and getting the costumes prepared for our photo shoot at the end of the week. We also went through each scene, exploring the possible set layouts by using objects, tables, ladders, and some draped fabric to replicate what we may have in the final show. I also did a little shopping! I found some great second hand shops and Pam's was particularly useful. I found some antique tools and a little leather suitcase for the character Mary


Our week ended on Saturday at the lovely Abbotsbury Gardens for a promotional photo shoot. Alastair came and took some great shots of the chorus jumping around and running through the gardens generally causing mayhem!